Fastelavn Weekend - danish style

20/02/2012

Fastelavn in Denmark was celebrated yesterday or today. During Fastelavn all nurseries and schools in Scandinavia celebrate and the kids take great pride in finding the perfect outfit and battering a barrel with a cat on it (Piñata style)* 
Later on the older kids will go 'trick or treating'.
We had a few exited young ladies here - and this year they chose something different from the usual Disney Princess extravaganza.
May I introduce little Red Riding Hood and little Miss Butterfly:
HAPPY FASTELAVN Everybody!! 

* Historically there was a real black cat in the barrel, and beating the barrel was superstitiously considered a safeguard against evil. After the candy pours out, the game continues until the entire barrel is broken. The one who knocks down the bottom of the barrel (making all the candy spill out) becomes kattedronning ("queen of cats"); the one who knocks down the last piece of the barrel becomes kattekonge ("king of cats")
Quite barbaric really!!!
- read more about our Scandinavian tradition here - there is a lot more to it:O) 


15 comments:

  1. Well I was going to ask what on earth is it all about...but then I got down to the bottom and see you have explained! What an interesting custom. Looks like they had LOTS of fun! Poor old cats in the olden days...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting!! Your girls look beautiful. So precious..Happy Monday doll!! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so cool! I'd never heard of it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute! What an interesting holiday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look so cute!! Great pictures :)
    Ate way to many fastelavns-boller this weekend, haha :D This friday I also have to dress up as we are doing the fastelavns party in the kindergarten where i work. I will probably dress up as a sailor.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sweet little girls!!!!

    ♥ Franka

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks guys they love this carnival - it is very exciting for them;>
    And yes it was rather cruel with the poor cat in the barrel.. Barbaric country in the old days :O)
    Axx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Darling little girls! What an interesting holiday, I've never heard of it. It almost sounds like our Halloween.

    I love your blog and will add you to my blog roll so that I don't miss any of your posts. I see you are also fond of Chanel, me too! Thanks so much for following my blog and my Facebook page and for entering my giveaway.

    ReplyDelete
  9. what gorgeous little girls you have Anya..all sounds great fun:)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a comment - I love reading what you have to say

♡ A