Sunday, 10 February 2013

Corners of my Sunday

In Denmark we celebrate FASTELAVN* today and as it is tradition the children dress up, and hit a wooden barrel (pinâta style) The one that smashes the last piece of wood so it falls down, is crowned King of Cats - a very difficult title to achieve. Well wouldn't you know - today the big one managed to do it - and was proudly crowned King (she wanted to be the Queen, but that's not the proper title:)






































Fastelavn is the name for Carnival in Denmark and Norway which is either the Sunday or Monday before Ash Wednesday. Fastelavn evolved from the Roman Catholic tradition of celebrating in the days before Lent, but after Denmark became a Protestant nation, the holiday became less specifically religious. This holiday occurs seven weeks before Easter Sunday and is sometimes described as a Nordic Halloween, with children dressing up in costumes and gathering treats for the Fastelavn feast. The holiday is generally considered to be a time for children's fun and family games.

10 comments:

  1. Fun tradition - I actually didn´t know! I love the pics, your girlies are so darn cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tina - really I thought you guys celebrated too - but looks like it's the danes and norwegians:) Fun tradition I used to LOVE dressing up, and I never ever became King of Cats :)

      Delete
  2. Looks fun, and your photos are beautiful, as always!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Är det att jämställa med det vi hade i Sverige när jag var ett barn (som nu inte finns längre) Barnens dag?

    Det är trevligt med traditioner

    Ha det gott

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Det kan godt være - vi har altid fejret fastelavn her i Danmark :))
      Knus Axx

      Delete
  4. Hello=)
    Do you want to follow each other on bloglovin? I've got a few readers now on that site! Let me know!
    http://anna-alina.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this, I wasn't aware. Your kids are so sweet and the costumes are just as sweet. Love to you,

    Shauna xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a tradition here - and it's the best day ever for kids - they love dressing up, and hitting the barrel. Getting the last piece of wood to fall down is almost impossible, but the little lady did it :))
      Happy Monday Shauna,
      Ax

      Delete
  6. oh, i have such great memories of that. it's called fasching where I'm from :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a comment - I love reading what you have to say

♡ A