Tuesday, 13 May 2014

I want to ride my bicycle {Copenhagen pages}

Copenhagen is a city full of bikes. Everybody rides their bikes to work, come rain or sunshine. The city is made for cycling. However if you are a tourist you'll need to know a few things before you begin:


Anya Jensen Photography


Danish Bike etiquette:)



  • You ride your bicycle same way as a car (ish:)- If you're going fast, stay on the outside, going slow, on the inside - and be aware and look over your shoulder before you pull out; some people go very fast on their bikes here.
  • Please do not have a conversation with your buddy whilst biking. Cyclists get rather annoyed with you side by side.  Wait until you get to your destination for the chitchat.
  • Always use hand signals for turning and stopping - alerting fellow cyclists. A left hand up means  stopping. A hand out to the right means turning right. A hand to the left means a left turn.
  • Do not have your music so loud you cannot hear what's going on around you, and keep an eye out for ambulances, buses, cars and fellow cyclists.
  • Large vehicles have a BLIND spot. Very dangerous. Do NOT ever put yourself in a spot where the driver can't see you, and always try and make eye contact, or just don't go.
  • During the darker months be sure to have lights on your bike and reflectors (you could  even get a fine if you don't:)
  • OH yeah do remember to lock your bike - especially at night, otherwise you might be walking home!
  • HAVE fun - I know it sounds like there are lots of rules - but they're only here to make you safe. Happy Travels!!

If you don't have a bike, don't fret - Copenhagen has city bikes for rent: BYCYKLEN - and many hotels offer bikes too. ENJOY and go cycling - the city has so much to offer and it's so pretty, cool and great fun on a bike.

12 comments

  1. Perfect post for me ;) we're definitely be going cycling, Anya...thanks for popping by and wishing us a lovely trip to your city...I've printed off your 'must sees' I'll feel you're being our tour guide. I would have loved to have met you for a quick coffee had you been there :) enjoy NYC...have a fabulous time! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohh I'm so pleased Catherine - so sorry I'm not here to take you out for a coffee. But you'll love it here - and the weather is apparently going to be lovely. Enjoy xx

      Delete
  2. This is amazing. Thank you for sharing. I don't ride (long story I'll spare you off ;)) but when we travel the family like to adopt local costumes.
    France should have you draw some rules for their Bike Etiquette (it's scary how fast some people ride there).
    Love,
    T

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you know it's really scary how some people ride here too - they forget how dangerous it can be swerving and jumping lights. So a bit of bike etiquette goes a long way ;-)

      Delete
  3. So sweet. Would be lovely to come and ride a bike in Copenhagen :) Happy Tuesday doll xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the picture is of my youngest when she got her first real bike - shocking pink - look at her go - love this picture:)

      Delete
  4. Bike safety is so important! These can be used anywhere! Do they require you to wear bike helmets? I think it's a law here.
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not by law yet, but I think it's on the cards :-) I think I'll have to add this to my list - very important - thanks for pointing that out Kim :-)

      Delete
  5. Thank you for the tips! Maybe I will rent a bike when I'll go Copenhagen at the end of the summer ... it could be fun :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brilliant - if you need tips - you know where to ask :)

      Delete
  6. Hi Anya, I wanted to pop over to say thank you for visiting last week and for following I Dream Of. Your blog is quite pretty. I've never been to Denmark or Copenhagen but hope to someday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome and thanks for the sweet words. And yes please do visit here - it's FAB :-)

      Delete

Thanks for leaving me a comment - I love reading what you have to say

♡ A

Designed by Kelly Brito