Elderflower Cordial

10/06/2014

One thing I adore about Summer is the amazing smell from the Elderflower trees. The scent is almost intoxicating and perfumey and so is the flavour.
I always wanted to make elderflower cordial, so I gave it a go with a recipe my Grandmother once gave me. It is very hyggeligt to gather things in nature and then create something tasty and yummy afterwards:

ELDERFLOWER CORDIAL 
  • 25-30 elderflower heads - stalks trimmed
  • 600 g of sugar
  • 2 tablespoons of Citric Acid (available from the Chemist)
  • 2 Organic lemons 
  • 2 litres of water 
Anya Jensen Photography & Styling

Anya Jensen Photography & Styling

This is how you do it.

Pick 25 - 30 elderflowers - make sure they are in full bloom, no brown bits.
Get a large saucepan ready with 2 liters of cold fresh water.
Trim the elderflower, the smaller the better, stalks make it bitter.
Give them a quick rinse to get rid of dirt and bugs.
Cut your lemons into slices, and squeeze the remaining lemon into the saucepan.
Pop the sugar and Citric acid into the saucepan, and bring to the boil, stirring occasionally.
Put the eldeerflower, and lemons into the saucepan.
Leave in the fridge for 24 hours.
Sieve through a clean tea towel - do not press the elderflower through as it will turn the cordial cloudy.
Put into clean sterilised bottles and put in fridge.
Or even better - freeze into ice cube trays and freeze - ready for a hot summers day.
The Elderflower cordial will keep for up-to 5 weeks in the fridge

ENJOY!!

Anya Jensen Photography & Styling

Styling and Photography - Anya Jensen



17 comments:

  1. This sounds delicious - I'd say it would be lovely in some prosecco or champagne!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I think you're right Emma - mmmmm something for the weekend :-)

      Delete
  2. I've never ever made it, but have always been very curious. :) Thank you for sharing the recipe, Anya! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me neither - but it's very easy and very tasty x

      Delete
  3. Me too, Anya...although I've never made it...thank you for the recipe, I'll try it ;) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Catherine - you should it's very easy xx

      Delete
  4. Elderflower is one of my favorite juices during spring and summer. Here in Germany they also like to mix it with prosecco and/or white wine and sparkling water and fresh mint - it's what they call a HUGO.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds marvellous :))) Have had it from the store, but making it myself would be fun :))) I hope your week is going well so far doll xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really nice actually - the girls helped pick the flowers, and stir the pot. Now they help drink it :)

      Delete
  6. oh, I love it. we usually make elder-flower champagne. this year I didn't have time to make anything tho. too bad... xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can you believe that I've never made my own?! Now I'll definitely have to give it a go! Hope you're well sweetie and you're having some sunshine. Watch out for my blog post tomorrow (Thursday)…not saying any more ;-) xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me neither - I have drunk buckets of the stuff and always admired people who did it - well tell you what - well worth the effort - it's YUM and now I'm going to your blog for a peek :-) Happy weekend love

      Delete
  8. I've never heard of Elderflowers? We don't have any here in the US, at least I've never heard of them before now. The drink sounds good and easy to make. Now if I could only find Elderflowers.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a comment - I love reading what you have to say

♡ A