The Lost Bridge

20/06/2014

One of the things I have always wanted to photograph is the Brooklyn Bridge, with the amazing wires reaching far into the Sky. So I was more than delighted when we were going on a trip to Brooklyn, and then walking back to Manhattan via Brooklyn Bridge. The camera was ready, I was ready. As we were 9 of us on the Brooklyn trip - we shared 3 cabs - mine was shared with the lovely Ladies Linda Holt and Kathy SandlerOur cabbie seemed bemused that we wanted to walk the bridge, and alarm bells should have sounded when he had to ask twice for directions. But all of a sudden - there it was: The Bridge.
Anya Jensen Photography
Almost skipping along, I was more than excited, snapping away at the NYC skyline, and the surrounding bridges. Strangely though I wondered when we would make it to those iconic lines, and all of a sudden we were at the middle of the bridge, and it looked slightly different than I had envisioned. So we talked about it and just thought that the usual pictures must have been snapped from further up, and that we were on the wrong side.
Anya Jensen Photography

Anya Jensen Photography
Later that night at dinner, we spoke to our fellow Blogtour Brooklyn Bridge people, and wondered why we hadn't seen them on the bridge at all?. All seemed fine, I even Instagrammed that now this was of the bucket list, and my life was almost complete, until the lovely Annabel said that we had walked the wrong bridge, and showed me a picture of the real one. I was astounded, Linda was astounded, Kathy was astounded! Then we cracked up, to the point of laughing so much we cried. We started remembering all that was said, how wrong it all had looked - it was so hilarious, it ended up being dubbed #onebridgetoofar.

So I have walked the Manhattan Bridge. The subway was rushing past us constantly - we could hardly speak. I loved that bridge. But I have still not walked over Brooklyn bridge. One day, one fine day...
These were my images of "The Lost Bridge" - Manhattan Bridge. 

Sweet Iris has kindly lend me her image of the Brooklyn Bridge - my edit.
One thing for sure though - this bridge walk was far more memorable than had it been the right bridge from the start.
Anya Jensen Photography
Thanks so much Modenus for inviting me on #BlogTourNYC

18 comments:

  1. Anya, I can't stop laughing! It's funny but not funny. They should fire that cabbie! He lives there and didn't know the difference between the two bridges??? That's sad. Glad you enjoyed and made the best of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you know it WAS funny. But baffling at first. And then hilarious. But yes the taxi driver must have been new, or lost for sure. And I'll be back there - one day walking that bridge xxx

      Delete
  2. A walk to remember for sure! Can't remember when I laughed so hard so all in all it was not such a disappointment.The right one still awaits us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes me neither Linda - i nearly fell of my chair laughing :-)
      Happy Birthday xx

      Delete
  3. Oh noooo lol! Good reasons to go back :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I'm counting on a trip back there some fine day xx

      Delete
  4. We'll go back one day and walk the Brooklyn Bridge together… Though we did have a good laugh about it ;-) xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes we did have a bit of a giggle indeed. And I'm up for a walk - over any old bridge to tell you the truth. - Might be a book in the making ha ha - Anya Adores Bridges - what's not to LOVE xxxxxx

      Delete
  5. It happened with me in Barcelona. Can you believe it? I saw from far what I thought it were the towers of Sagrada Family and they I clicked the camera away... only to realise it was another Temple but not Sagrada Familia ahahahah
    Well, I thing we get to see more this way. You might have missed the lost (missed the lost ahah) bridge had not been this mistake... and since it's in bucket keep it there as I'm sure the oppportunity will arise again and this time you will be able to count all the steps in it ahahah
    Two things I'm hoplessly in love - you might want to add something to that book title (and shows Teresa, sounds great ahah) - bridges and lighthouses.
    Enjoy your Sunday Dear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohh you did, well I guess there is a lot of Gaudi stuff in Barcelona :-) La Sagrada familia is marvellous though, but covered in plastic during renovations when I went - #mustgoback .-)

      Delete
  6. So sweet! Now you have to go back for the right thing! Still, the shots are beautiful! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Natalia - I loved these shots too - the Manhattan bridge is also very beautiful - and underrated :)

      Delete
  7. The bridge is awesome!! Gorgeous pictures xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ohhh that's sad for you but funny! Oh well, just another excuse to go back! It looks like you had such a fabulous time. Mel xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anya,

    That is sooo funny! I've only seen the Brooklyn Bridge in movies! LOL Husband and I did go to Manhattan for a long weekend. We saw the Statue of Liberty, Times Square (where the ball drops at New Years), saw a Play, shopped in Soho, ate at a Jewish Deli and some restaurant (which I can't remember the name of) that served different meats, all you could eat. Husband said they have these type of restaurants in Barcelona, Spain.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a comment - I love reading what you have to say

♡ A