For as long as I remember we have made our own Christmas & Advent candle decorations with my Grandmother. She has a lot of experience with flower arranging, and is absolutely brilliant. She has tried to teach us everything she knows - and might I say we have got the hang of it now. This year we did it again, my mother, sister, my grandmother and myself. We had a lovely day, chatting away, sipping coffee, as we got busy decorating. The results are fab, and we have enough candle decorations now to last us until Christmas eve.
Really easy and very beautiful Advent candle decoration made by my sis
My granny getting busy covering the tray and the flower oasis with greenery
Tools of the trade, and playing with the different ornaments
Holly, fir, flowers, moss - you name it - we have it
Finished result. We have candles with numbers 1-24 - and you burn it on the day - so the decoration finishes on the 24th where we celebrate Christmas Eve
It's not as hard as it looks, as long as you keep to these simple rules:
- Get yourself a nice tray or bowl for your base. Keep to a simple colour, as you can then go mad decorating.
- For a really easy decoration, use a tray, 'fat' candles, ribbons and 'sprinkle' small pinecones everywhere
- Get flower oasis rather than clay, as you can water it throughout the festive season, making the greens last longer
- Buy (or pick) fir, holly, moss, pinecones, buy ribbon, ornaments, baubles etc
- If you need the candle is to stay put in the oasis, insert metal wire spikes into the base of the candle to keep it in place (you heat them up with a lighter and them press them in gently)
- Always cover the oasis with moss, branches of fir (trim down to fit) branches, holly, etc.
- Ornaments looks best in clusters of 2 or 3 together
- You could finish off with a cute ribbon in a coherent colour.
- Keep a close look at the colours you put together and make sure they complement one another
- Attach wire to your ornaments, to keep them in place - wire is the best
Let me know how you get on - happy decorating!!