Klejner - not just another Danish Christmas cookie

17/12/2014

This is another recipe for the other cookies we baked on our Family baking day. They are called Klejner and is a traditional Danish cookie, although they are fried not baked.
I remember these well from when I was little, and how fun it was to twist these into shape, and see them boil in the hot oil. Do you have any specific recipes that you keep coming back to. This one is from my Dad's cookbook, but tweaked to perfection by him :)

Anya Jensen Photography & Styling

Anya Jensen Photography & Styling

This is what you will need:

25 g butter
50 g sugar
3 egg yolks
3-4 tbs cream
2 tbs cognac
250 g all purpose flour
Hot fat for frying

This is how you do

Mix the butter & sugar adding the egg yolks, cream, cognac and the flour last, making the dough soft and moist. Leave to chill for 1 hour.
Roll the dough on a lightly floured board, to 1/8 inch thickness and cut into strips about 1 1/4 inches wide, then cut the strips diagonally into diamond shapes about 3 1/2 inches long. Make a slash through the center of each with the a knife. Pull one end of the piece through the slash to form a small knot.
Heat your fat, and carefully drop the small knots into the hot fat, and remove when lightly brown. Leave to dry on paper towels. Serve and enjoy and keep the rest (if any) in an airtight container
Anya Jensen Photography & Styling
Photography & Styling by Anya Jensen Photography for Anya adores design ©

11 comments:

  1. wow, they look intriguing. I've never seen something like that before? must try :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have similar in our culture and yes I keep coming to them.
    Sometimes in the peak of Summer I miss this time of the year so much and these goodies pot in my mind too.
    We sprinkle ours with sugar and cinnamon. Heaven on Earth! (while they last, at least ahahahah)
    Enjoy The Season!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds delish with sugar and cinnamon too :)

      Delete
  3. I've seen similar. The ingredients
    look delicious. Can you believe it's Christmas? I can't!! And yet it is and I love it. I"m trying to savor every moment. Love,

    Shauna xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe it , this year has flown by - as usual xx

      Delete
  4. Fine billeder! :D De ser virkelig lækre ud. Er dog mest til dem hvis der er glasur på. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glasur på - det har jeg aldrig prøvet - måske en idé :))

      Delete
  5. I've never had one of those. They look so good!
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. YUM! Great photography. I bet they taste delicious! xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a comment - I love reading what you have to say

♡ A