/HOW TO CARE FOR GREEN PLANTS / part 1

01/07/2015

As an indoor plant serial killer, I decided that I couldn't bear seeing more of my green beauties whither away and die. so I decided that enough is enough, and I have now researched flowershops, flowerblogs, & wikipedia and this should be the to-go recipes for non plant disasters.

These plants should be fairly easy to maintain (I will wait with baited breath and keep you posted) :


CACTI or if you prefer CACTUSES

I figured if they can survive the desert, they're alright with me. The only NO-NO when it comes to cacti is to water them from the top. That will make them rot. So take them and put them in the sink with a bit of water at the bottom and let them have a sip - Cacti have very long roots (in the wild) that's how they find water.
How to care for green plants - by Anya adores design

SUCCULENTS

Again a survivor, and one of the only plants (I know of) that loves direct sunlight. So give the prime position in the windowsills. These also only need a bit of water, leave the soil to dry and then water - also if you see the leaves withering.
How to care for green plants - by Anya adores design

PILEA - CHINESE MONEY TREE


This one is one of my favourites. I have also struggled with it a bit, but now we are good: Place in north facing windows if possible, out of direct sunlight (it will get brown 'sunburned' leaves.) It has to be kept slightly damp, and do not let dry out. Fertilise once a month during the Summer and once in a while during winter.
How to care for green plants - by Anya adores design
OXALIS
Beautiful  'purple' shamrock loves a bit of light, but again not directly in the sunlight. Do not overwater this one, it will start to 'hang' when it needs water, so you'll know when to give it some. Easy happy plant.
How to care for green plants - by Anya adores design

FERN


I remember my Mum having a huge fern, for what seemed like forever. This green plant has been out in the cold for a decade (as most other green darlings) but is now back inside. The delicate fern prefer indirect sunlight / shade and will not be happy in the sun (brown leaves anyone?) You have to keep it moist, but not wet. Also invest in a mister and give it a good old squirt.
How to care for green plants - by Anya adores design


Hope you enjoyed this post - I will be growing my indoor urban garden, and will add more green plants, so watch this space for part 2.

10 comments:

  1. Great and fun! I do have a garden, but only one indor plant is still alive :) Indoor plant serial killer is a fantastic description.
    Happy days
    Elisabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it's a very funky - but correct description of my green finger ability 😊

      Delete
  2. I do not need mention how much I love this post, right? And I can double every of your plant care tips as I have/had all the aforementioned plants! The only plant that was not too happy in my home was the fern - it was too dry and bright I assume!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought you might have loved this post Igor - very you xx

      Delete
  3. This is so good to know Anya, because I don't have a green thumb either (inside or outside) LOL
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim, I love flowers and plants, so it was fun for me to do. But not all of my plants survive, but i do try :-)

      Delete
  4. Marvellous this. I love plants and have some in the house. I've always liked the look of succulents, maybe get some of those, will do good as I can forget sometimes to water stuff, haha!! Thankfully my plants survive! Happy weekend to you doll xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The good thing about cacti and succulents is that you can forget to water them - and they still survive :-))

      Delete
  5. Ha. LOVE! Good on you and your tips are ace! I also always struggle with ferns. They are really difficult to keep:-)

    Can't wait for part2. Hope you're enjoying the summer. Hope to see you when you get to London xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Tina - i actually find fern fairly easy to deal with - but the pilea caused me some trouble 😊 A xx

      Delete

Thanks for leaving me a comment - I love reading what you have to say

♡ A