Boiled eggs and soldiers

20/03/2016

Every single weekend- (almost without a fail) - we have boiled eggs and soldiers for breakfast. I am not trying to claim that they're a particular Danish thing, but I have eaten boiled eggs and soldiers since I was a child. In Denmark, we call these eggs 'blødkogte æg' which directly translates to soft boiled eggs. 

However - and this is important; - we always eat toasted rye bread with our eggs, and that is a bit of culinary delight. I absolutely adore the creamy smooth egg and the crusty sourdough rye bread with lashings of butter and a sprinkle of salt. The Danes eat a lot of rye bread. Most people have it as a staple part of their diet. My grandmother used to say that "white bread makes you weak and squidgy, but rye bread makes you strong and fierce". I still live by her funny words, and we all love rye bread in this house. It is simply comforting food, and there is almost nothing better!
When we boil our eggs, we boil the water in a large saucepan, add some salt (which will stop the eggs from cracking) and put the eggs in (ladled on a spoon - one-by-one) for 5 minutes and 55 seconds. That way the eggs are perfectly cooked, not too runny, but creamy and yummy.I love our Sunday morning tradition. There is something hyggeligt and homely about traditions. They make you feel part of something and gives you a sense of belonging, and feeling safe!

Have you got any specific things you eat on a certain day? Or any traditions you remember from when you were small? Do you cook Boiled eggs and soldiers perhaps?

8 comments:

  1. OMG I love boiled eggs and soldiers :-) Miss ya, when are you visiting Blighty?
    Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. me too - they're utterly scrumptious xxx

      Delete
  2. I love these...but sadly I am not allowed them being pregnant!! Can't wait to have them again, so good at any time of day really. Wonderful :)) Happy new week to you lovely x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not long now is it Kizzy?? They're yummy. Take care love xx

      Delete
  3. Guess we all love this since it is a common practice all over the world. Glad to know that in Denmark you eat it too. Velbekomme!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Charlotte - figured everyone ate these, they're soo good xxx

      Delete
  4. Yummy indeed - I always eat these eggs since childhood:)
    Emma

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a comment - I love reading what you have to say

♡ A